Pizza is the perfect meal to make for the whole family because it’s fun, easy and everybody can contribute and customize!
You can make it square, round, thick or thin, loaded with toppings or just plain cheese. Be creative.
Time: Prep time: 20 minutes | Cook time: 10 minutes
Serving Size: Getting all the ingredients below will be enough for 2 pizzas and feed about 5-6 people
Note: You can always make less with 1 ball of dough. But if you have 2 kid chefs, we suggest cutting the ball of dough in half to make 2 small pies so they can each be in charge of their own creation!
- 2x balls of pizza dough (store bought, refrigerated not frozen)
- ½ cup of flour for hands and surfaces to keep dough from sticking
- Extra virgin olive oil for drizzling and brushing
- 28oz can of whole peeled or diced tomatoes
- 3-4 cloves of garlic
- 2 Tbsp of extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 Basil leaves
- ⅓ Tsp salt
- Note: You can always buy a pre-made marinara or pizza sauce at the store for quicker prep time but check the ingredients for animal products
- 2x Packs of vegan shredded mozzarella
- 1x Half-pint container of vegan ricotta
- 1x pack of plant-based pepperoni slices
- Any other veggie or plant-based toppings you like!
*Note: See our brand recommendations below
*Tools: Rolling pins, 2 large baking sheets, blender, pan & pizza cutter
- Let dough sit unrefrigerated for 1-2 hours to soften.
- Prep your baking sheets with a little oil or parchment paper,
- Have your adult preheat the oven to 450 degrees and position rack in the middle of the oven.
- For the sauce, bring pan to medium heat, add 1-2 tbsp of olive oil. Once hot, saute 3-4 cloves of garlic for a few minutes until light brown.
- In a blender, add tomatoes, your sauteed garlic and olive oil, 6 basil leaves and salt. Have your adult blend well so there are no tomato chunks for kid friendly smoothness. Let sit while you work on next steps.
- Sprinkle flour on table or cutting board and roll out dough.
- Slowly and gently stretch the dough out using back of fists. Try not to get any holes in the dough. If you do, you can always pinch them back together.
- When you have the pizzas in the shape and size you want transfer pizza dough to oiled baking sheets and begin brushing dough with olive oil. Be sure to get the edges!
- Spread out sauce slowly and evenly on the dough using a big spoon. Don’t over sauce!
- Add one even layer of shredded mozzarella. We recommend Daiya and/or Violife vegan cheeses. See our recommendations below.
- Next add 2-4 Tbsp of ricotta in small dollops in all quadrants of pizza. We highly recommend Kitehill Ricotta.
- Add plant-based pepperoni, basil and/or your favorite veggies across pizza.
- Have your adults place pizza in oven and cook for 10 minutes. Keep an eye on it because every oven is a bit different. Gently lift the bottom from the pan to check for desired crispness. You may want it for a touch less or more time in the oven.
- Remove from oven, cut slices in whatever sizes you want.